Iris Dental offers sedation dentistry for nervous or anxious patients
Sedation dentistry is a popular way for many nervous or anxious patients to receive the treatment they need. At Iris Dental in Point Cook, we offer sedation options for eligible patients.
Fear of visiting the dentist
Dental phobia, or fear of the dental experience, is not uncommon. Many Australian adults experience this fear and it is what stops them from getting much needed dental care. Often those with fear or anxiety around visiting the dentist will wait until the pain is unbearable before visiting the dentist.
The issue with this is that quite often these serious issues could have been prevented with a simple check-up and clean. Except for a nervous or anxious patient a check-up and clean isn’t seen as a simple thing. That’s why many dentists offer a range of sedation dentistry options.
Iris Dental’s main goal is to help patients achieve a happy and healthy smile, whether you’re anxious, nervous or just uncomfortable with the idea of sitting in the dental chair, our sedation options can help you.
Get the treatment you need
If you are nervous or anxious about visiting the dentist, Iris Dental’s sedation dentistry can help alleviate some of the fear. With laughing gas (nitrous oxide), you will feel relaxed and calm.
Nitrous oxide is a breathable gas with no colour, smell and it should not irritate you. The nitrous oxide should kill pain as well as induce a pleasurable feeling. After breathing in the gas for a few minutes, you will start to feel the euphoric effects throughout your body. The gas will make you feel a bit light-headed and quite often people get the giggles (hence the name: laughing gas).
Making your sedation dentistry appointment
When you make your appointment with the friendly team at Iris Dental let us know that you would like a sedation option for your appointment. It doesn’t matter whether you need a check-up and clean or a more involved treatment, Iris Dental will help you receive the treatment you need, and we’ll help you be as comfortable as possible during your dental appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is dental sedation right for me?
When considering dental sedation, various factors come into play, such as your personal preferences, medical background, and the specific dental procedure involved. Dental sedation can be advantageous for individuals who experience dental anxiety, have a pronounced gag reflex, struggle with sitting still for prolonged periods, require extensive dental work, or have a low pain tolerance. It can also be beneficial for patients with certain medical conditions that may complicate dental procedures.
To determine the suitability of dental sedation for your case, it is crucial to consult with your dentist or oral surgeon. They will review your medical history, evaluate the complexity of the procedure, and address any anxiety or concerns you may have. Based on their assessment, they will recommend the appropriate level of sedation to ensure your comfort and safety throughout the dental treatment.
What are the side effects or risks?
Nitrous oxide sedation is generally considered safe when administered by trained professionals. However, like any medical intervention, it carries some potential side effects and risks. These may include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Fatigue or confusion
- Allergic reactions
- Oxygen deprivation
It’s important to discuss any concerns or medical conditions you may have with your healthcare provider before undergoing nitrous oxide sedation. They will be able to evaluate your individual situation and determine if nitrous oxide sedation is appropriate for you, considering any potential risks or contraindications.
Who can benefit from nitrous oxide sedation?
Nitrous oxide sedation, also known as laughing gas, is a type of sedation commonly used in dentistry and some medical procedures. It can benefit various individuals, including:
- Dental patients: Nitrous oxide sedation is often used in dental procedures to help anxious or fearful patients relax. It can help alleviate dental phobia and anxiety, making it easier for individuals to undergo dental treatments.
- Paediatric patients: Children who may be apprehensive or fearful of dental or medical procedures can benefit from nitrous oxide sedation. It helps them remain calm and cooperative during the procedure, making it easier for the healthcare provider to perform necessary treatments.
- Individuals with special needs: Patients with special needs, such as those with intellectual disabilities or developmental disorders, may find it challenging to tolerate dental or medical procedures. Nitrous oxide sedation can help them feel more comfortable and cooperative during these procedures.
- Patients with a strong gag reflex: Some individuals have a hypersensitive gag reflex, which can make certain dental procedures or medical interventions difficult. Nitrous oxide sedation can help reduce the gag reflex, making it easier to perform the necessary procedures.
- Patients with mild to moderate anxiety: Nitrous oxide sedation is an effective option for individuals with mild to moderate anxiety levels. It induces a sense of relaxation and calmness, helping patients feel more at ease during their procedure.
It is important to note that while nitrous oxide sedation is generally safe, it may not be suitable for everyone. Individuals with certain medical conditions or those who are pregnant should consult with their healthcare provider before using nitrous oxide sedation. The decision to use nitrous oxide sedation should be made in consultation with a qualified healthcare professional.